For Immediate Release
February 27, 2018
Utah House of Representatives
Rep. Kennedy to hold a press conference to discuss Utah School Safety Commission
Protecting our children
Keeping children safe is a high priority for everyone. With the rise of school threats, now more than ever is the time to rally together to come up with solutions.
Rep. Mike Kennedy assembled an uncompensated commission, Utah School Safety (USS), that will review policies directed at increasing safety in our schools. Robust dialog amongst elected officials, stakeholders, doctors, professors, parents, teachers and community members will help develop Utah solutions to increase measures to protect the safety of children across the state.
During the press conference, elected officials and stakeholders will review the plan and the purpose of the USS Commission.
Capitol Building, Gold Room
350 State St., Salt Lake City, UT 84111
Thursday, March 1, 9:45 a.m.
Rep. Mike Kennedy, District 27
Members of the Utah School Safety Commission
Members of the Utah School Safety (USS) Commission:
- Terryl Warner, board member of the Utah State Board of Education
- Clark Aposhian, chairman of the board of the Utah Shooting Sports Council
- Dallas Earnshaw, Psychiatry doctor at Wasatch Mental Health
- John Hoffmann, professor at Brigham Young University
- Keith Squires, commissioner for the Utah Department of Public Safety
- Ron Gordon, general counsel at the Office of the Governor, Utah
- Bryan Turner, director of Architectural Services at Davis School District
- Heidi Matthews, president, Utah Education Association
- Two High School Students (to be determined)
Representatives who were at the press conference though not part of the commission.
- Rep. Mike Kennedy
- Speaker Greg Hughes
- Rep. Ray Ward
- Rep. Steve Handy
- Rep. Merrill Nelson
- Rep. Marie Poulson
- Rep. Carol Spackman Moss
Submit suggestions to USS here.
Video of the press conference can be found here.